Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Pussy Willow

I'd lately been wondering when I could first see some springtime buds. A look back into Nuncketest told me that pussy willows should be about and a visit to my only known location on the lake paid off.




Curious, the bicoloration on the stalks. The rusty color is pointing south and away from the lake shore.



In the spirit of my recent favorite Dutch painting, I thought I'd take a try at a fiery image with backlit candlelight.



The Art of Calligraphy by David Harris arrived today. I've had only moments to poke through it and hope for soon acquaintance but for now the quick review is that this book is absolutely loaded with calligraphic hands, seemingly a fantastic calligraphic overview and yet with the details of individual character formation.

4 comments:

  1. Odd how there is only one place that I know of on our lake too, where I find pussy willows. Like you, I made the trek all the way around to the muddy back side of our lake to check on them this past weekend and was richly rewarded. Feeling quite happy with my efforts, I had to laugh when later on that day we went over to our new house and there in the field, smack in front of the house was a huge patch of pussy willow bushes in all their glory!
    Your photos are beautiful, esp. the one with the Vermeer light.
    Hope your new book is a keeper!
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plants, beautiful photograph. Will you draw it too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, let's take that as a good sign of everlasting happiness within your new home! :-) Got me thinking... I just read that they are very easy to start...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Threadspider, you are psychic! :-) Why, just to my side is a branch in water, waiting for me to finish up a sketch I began late last night. I will keep this branch in water, hoping that it takes root. It would sure be nice to have pussy willows in my yard like Gretchen does.

    ReplyDelete