Monday, March 22, 2010

Calligraphy Alphabet Complete

Using Katharine Scarfe Beckett's wonderful instructional web site , I have made it through the minuscule gothic littera textualis quadrata. I've had the opportunity to get the feel for each character, some with obviously greater ease than others. Katharine's writing style brought humor and made the lessons much more like fun than work.


Now I can fall back and practice words and sentences to help imprint character strokes, style, and spacing. I'd like to find a resource for majuscules. Also, I may take some time to try out other hands. But for now, in the very short term, I feel like it's time to get back to graphite.

I've only been "without course" now for a week but it seems like ages. I so miss it. Sigh...

Okay, enough melancholia. Today my very first copy of ASBA's The Botanical Artist arrived . The quality of the illustrations is very good and I look forward to reading the articles over and over. And speaking of articles, there are two interviews conducted by Joyce Westner, NESBA president, and a Nuncketest subscriber. Joyce has been very supportive of this beginner artist and she doesn't know it yet (oops, the cat's out of the bag!) but I'll be introducing myself and thanking her in person at the NESBA exhibit in Boston's Flower Show this week. It's nice to have inspiring people in one's life and I am blessed with many! :-)

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be meeting Joyce this week at the flower show. This may sound corny, but do try to snap a photo of the two of you together; not necessarily for your blog- just for yourself and Joyce. As much as I love my nature photos, I find that it is always the photos of family and friends that I treasure the most through the years!
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your alphabet looks great. I'm impressed by how well you've mastered the tricky pen twist for fine lines. I need to put up a page of majuscules now! I will do my best in the next couple of weeks.

    Looking forward to seeing your next graphite work. That pine cone was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea, Gretchen. I must poke around for my little camera but if that remains hidden there is always the cell phone. I'd been thinking of hauling around the big guy for nice quality and movies but I plan to be all over Boston. My MFA pass is good for ten days so back I go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks, Katharine! It was rough going with the felt tip on those lines. Some of them took two passes. I really must get to using pen and ink but the felt tip is so handy, especially when I'm sitting up in bed.

    I've been exploring the wonderful world of fountain pen type calligraphy instruments and I just might go that route. Any recommendations?

    Majuscules? YES!!! I'll be waiting! :-)

    ReplyDelete