Sunday, March 15, 2009

White-throated Sparrow

I nearly missed this little bird nestled within a mass of wisteria covering an old woodpile. I'm surprised that I have never noticed the White-throated Sparrow. (In fact, it is quite humbling as I discover how much of the natural world I have simply glossed over for so long.) That little bit of yellow-orange above and in front of the eye as well as the gray below really helped with the ID. I used The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds. Nice book, lots of good color pictures that work well for me with birds.


















I can scarcely manage to scribble a tolerable English letter. I know that I am not a scholar, but meantime I am aware that no man living knows better than I do the habits of our birds.
~ John James Audubon

No comments:

Post a Comment