Monday, March 16, 2009

Starting Points and Workflow

Nuncketest began last mid-December, and by the end of the year I had tooled up to a Canon 50d and a 100mm F/2.8 macro. I was immediately right back into the excitement of my Canon EF days! I'll admit that I'm still not well versed with all the controls and options of this sophisticated imaging device. I do carry the little manual in a coat pocket for when some thought or question pops to mind.

These machines will give good results simply by using a few automatic settings but ever the tinkerer, I want to know details, leading me to a review of my starter book.

Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS4 by Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe. It's a current publication dealing with Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) 5.2 (5.3 recently released--a minor update for a few new cameras).

I'd say that this book's main theme is workflow. That is, once the shutter has done its job, what happens from that point to opening up Photoshop. First, we need to assume that we have decided to capture RAW on the camera. Then the RAW files are pulled into Bridge for review, sorting, and labeling. Next, ACR is fired up for processing--color, crop, vignette, exposure, lots of features.

I've read this book twice and will soon give it another go. At this time, I see Bridge and ACR as foundational to my workflow. Of course, this could change. There's always Lightroom... Or simply shooting JPEG... The web is well populated with discussions of the merits of various pathways.

No comments:

Post a Comment