Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Photographer's Eye

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman is my current read. I'm wanting to explore photography from other than technical topics--no tools or techniques for a time.

I'm about halfway through a first reading. With this, I'm homing in on line: horizontal, vertical, diagonal. Shape: triangle, rectangle, circle. I become more aware of what I'm reaching for with the crop. There are discussions of subjects outside the purely compositional, that is, to the photographic specific: telephoto versus wide-angle, focus and blur, exposure.

This book is a welcome respite from my scrambling to pick up the technical. This book makes me distinctly peaceful. It's meditative. I'm liking it. Even though chapter based, each topic within carries at the most for four pages and always with lots of illustrative photos.

For eighteen bucks, it's already been a bargain of an eye-opening and pleasurable trip. I'll soon finish this book and keep it ready for rereads or really just to open it to any page for an idea to carry around on the next shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment