Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Thoughtful Change In Direction

Sweet Pepperbush is off the table--my kitchen table, that is, where it all happens these days. I simply could not achieve satisfaction with drawing out the inflorescence. So today, like last week, off I went in search of who knows what. I'm back with a bunch of salmon roses that I feel happy and confident with. They're in the fridge while I work out composition.

I'm taking this process one step at a time. First, some simple layouts. I sculpted a kneadable eraser into a rose bud and stuck it on the end of a pencil. Laid it out all ways. Right off I noticed that simple object perspective studies would be most useful for me right now.


I thought about multiple flowers... I don't know... I think I'm going for a solitaire.



I'll rough sketch for a while. I'd love to begin exploring color but first things first.

2 comments:

  1. Grand--and a very compelling subject, suitable for framing and exhibiting, I have no doubt.
    --JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joyce!

    I am finding the rose more within my reach. But... by next year the Sweet Pepperbush will be a sure thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete