Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Making A Circle Look Like A Sphere

This colored pencil seems to have a softness similar to a 4B or so graphite but the feel here is more oily than slippery.

This exercise takes the gradated tones of the previous lesson and applies them to an object. Next up I'll be bringing in a bit of color on these first two exercises. But really... isn't monochrome lovely?


I'm looking forward to some spare time to go over these exercises. I'm thinking there is a lot to be gained in relaxed repetition. I feel a bit like I'm heading back to the basics and I'm liking that.

2 comments:

  1. As with different brands of watercolors/paints/inks, brands of colored pencils will also have a different feel and characteristics; some will feel very soft and velvety, some will be brittle and hard; some smear, some don't. Also, like with watercolor, your paper will play into how the pencils perform. When I first discovered colored pencil as a medium, I bought a handful of open stock pencils, all the same color but different brands and was amazed at their differences.
    The experimenting never stops when it comes to art supplies; what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that certainly sounds like the way to go. I read ahead and found that the author recommends Verithin for sharp edges. Around here, one thing leads to another! :-)

    ReplyDelete