Friday, May 28, 2010

Mixing Exercises 47 and 48

Exercise 47 - Introducing Yellow Ochre.
Yellow Ochre and French Ultramarine.


Exercise 48 - Introducing Raw Sienna.
Raw Sienna and and French Ultramarine.


This wraps up all the color chart exercises in Blue and Yellow Don't Make Green. There are four exercises involving opaqueness testing and mixing with white that I expect to complete over the next day or two. Funny how the robins and this exercise series are closing so closely together.

I do have a new project waiting in the wings, something that will carry us along until the watercolor course begins. And speaking of the course, yesterday my Cornell account was opened for that course and I've been poking around there. Although I spend a tremendous amount of time in front of screens day and night, I still prefer the pleasure of paper and ink in hand. I am collecting all the course material and formatting it up nicely for printing. Half the course is already complete.

2 comments:

  1. Those two exercises look like good ones to go out on -- proof positive that 'blue and yellow don't make green' ... even if actually by now it's 'ultramarine and raw sienna don't make green'.

    Lovely ranges of rocks and sky again. The 'earth' colours really do speak of their origin. Interesting how the ochre flattens the ultramarine so quickly, and produces oily green-grey -- much more yellow than the sienna, which produces that fabulous series of stormy blues.

    Worth remembering!

    John, many congratulations to you and all my admiration for your tenacity -- it has been a real education following along these exercises with you and a rare privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katharine! I can't believe I've been at it for six weeks! My attention span must be increasing with my years. There must be a drop off point coming! :-)

    This series of exercises has been so rewarding! Just hours ago I trimmed the remainder of my charts and added them to my binder.

    The grays are my favorites. I could easily take either of these exercises and double the mixes, expanding on the nuanced colors.

    And thank you for pointing this challenging book out to me. Remember, you started this! :-)

    ReplyDelete