Monday, June 7, 2010

Small Color Study

I've spent a bit of time with initial sketches of Bittersweet Nightshade. I guess I'm getting into plant mode. This evening I tried to match up colors on the nightshade's flowers. I began with my color charts and came close with a mix of French Ultramarine and Permanent Rose but the saturation just didn't seem to be there.

So instead, I tried starting with Winsor Violet and adding tiny bits of Permanent Rose to make a graduated chart. Then I went after the anthers and style which vary from a slightly greenish yellow out into an orangy yellow that slides off in saturation.

Once everything was dry, I tried lifting color from that practice petal to the right. Nothing doing! I've occasionally tinkered with lifting but nothing serious so it could be that I simply need practice. W&N does list the staining property of each paint but of course staining exists across a scale. So, I must get it some experience with this by trying to lift while still damp or dry for each paint. Interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment