Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sap Green

From a a previously unopened tube of Permanent Sap Green...



Permanent Sap Green is what is known as a convenience color, a mix of a couple of pigments. In this case, Winsor Green YS PG36 comes premixed with Isoindolinone Yellow PY110. That Winsor Green is actually a phthalo, a real heavy hitter. I was reminded of that as soon as I began mixing, as even the cadmiums had a hard time holding their own against that powerful pigment.

Students are asked to "really push those greens" and starting with green instead of blue in this exercise made that quite simple. I particularly liked he way the greens rolled off into browns as we moved further towards red and then into the earth colors.

I may get back to another chart or two, but I think next up is an exercise where I am to simply "play with my paints". Maybe for me that is not as easy at it sounds, having been boxed in with all my color charts.

6 comments:

  1. I've been having an awfully busy time away from the computer. Came back to find that it's wash-week! Commenting first on these greens -- aren't the earth mixtures great? (Last three rows.) Very messy colours -- a relatively clear and clean mixture of green (in terms of wavelengths) mixed again with colours that come out of the ground as natural mixtures of reds, blues, blacks and yellows ... hence those subtle, grubby, very organic-looking colours.

    The whole chart is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the earths. I can't believe with all my tubes that I don't have any W&N siennas! It's time to order up again! :-)


    Our little group of Cornell students just recently had earth discussions. One student is digging her own clays! The colors are awesome. Today while out on the highway I spent way too much time gazing over rock formations for potential collection sites. I must look closer to home... and while moving at slower speeds. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scratch that on the Siennas--it's the Umbers I want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel!

    Your own earth colours -- that would be something. If your lake is red, there are some nice ferrous compounds lurking somewhere. Vicariously, I am sure I can feel your fingers itching to get out with a trowel and some sample bags. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may have to ask my fellow student if she will send me some wonderful earths from the Appalachian Region of North Carolina. She has some gorgeous stuff.

    I will put Gum Arabic on my shopping list just to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I somehow missed this lovely and imaginative comment! I'm reading Bright Earth as I find myself slipping into the wonderful worlds of our pasts. Cave paintings, Egyptian art...

    Oh ya, now I want Egyptian Blue pigment.

    ReplyDelete