Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tree of Heaven

This is the largest Tree of Heaven, Ailanthus altissima, that I've seen around the lake. It dominates an area with many smaller specimens. It a beauty, isn't it? I've walked many a time by the these trees, never knowing them by name but surely appreciating their beauty. There will indeed be much more to see throughout the seasons.
























Here's a gall I ran across last weekend. I think it's on some kind of oak (possibly pin) and I'll need to follow up during another visit. I was surprised by the wall thickness and the texture seems to indicate a heavy strong material but each gall is really quite light. I do still wonder how the wasp makes its way out. I need a good gall book...



























No comments:

Post a Comment