Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vinca minor is flowering

Common Periwinkle, Vinca minor, is an evergreen perennial classified as invasive. Imported in the 1700's from Europe as an ornamental, it is said to take over forest floors, choking out native species. Regardless, I really like this little one. The leaves are bright and shiny and the flowers so pretty. Around the lake it grows in shady spots and doesn't really seem that overpowering. I'm sticking up for it. After all, it does provide a nice touch of green, as it did on my Christmas post.

















Today is my fourth day in a row for a mini vacation of sorts--it is sadly back to work tomorrow. Each day I have been happily collecting photographs and specimens. Identification is proving a good deal more challenging than the gathering. I am without comfortable tools for determining species by newly developing buds. No worries... I may soon have to post a bit without names until leaves develop--there are some very lovely buds...

No comments:

Post a Comment