Saturday, May 7, 2011

Killdeer

Walking between overflow beds of a water pumping and filtration center, I found this Killdeer presenting in classic distressed manner indicating that its ground level nest must be nearby. As I moved between photographs, I kept my head down--the nest could have been underfoot.




Although the image quality of this little clip suffers, you can hear the distressed calls as it does its best to call attention towards its feigned wounded condition and away from its nest.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet little Mother's Day study. Thanks, JP
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kildeer are such fascinating birds to watch aren't they? They do pick some odd spots to nest, though. There is a pair that have, for the past two seasons, nested in the scrubby, litter strewn area between our local supermarket and gas station. I worry for them, but have a sneaky suspicion that the majority of passers by never see them, too busy to notice. I can only hope that is what has allowed them to nest there undisturbed.
    Your photos and video are really good!
    ~ gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary! I had been wondering if this was the female I encountered. Nearest I can tell is that both parents share the incubation period leading me to wonder if both display this distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gretchen! The nests are very hard to spot. I came upon this bird only after it began its act. I think if it would have stayed still that I would have passed right by. I snapped a quick photo white it was still in low brush and had a surprisingly difficult time finding the bird in my photo.

    I am reading that the young hatch with open eyes and are scurrying about as soon as their down dries. Talk about hitting the ground running!

    ReplyDelete