Friday, May 20, 2011

Jacob Isaackszoon van Ruisdael

Glancing though "Dutch Painting 1600 - 1800", I am drawn to the work of Jacob Isaackszoon van Ruisdael. It's the clouds that draw me in. The colors in the book seem to offer greater depth and lean towards less saturation; I prefer them to the garishness of these web jpgs.

I first thought it the great contrast range of the clouds in these two that got my attention. But actually, the darkest tones are in the foreground. I think it is the lightest tones on the brightly lit clouds that attract me and seem to make the clouds even darker..

The Windmill at Wijk bij Duurstede

Grain Fields

Village In Winter has some cloud effect going for it but I am pulled in by the highlighted bits of snow and ice. Magical or melancholic? Both, it seems.

Village In Winter

This is all part of my selection process as I collect images to bring along to the upcoming workshop. Next Friday is my planned trip to the MFA when I hope to collect more images from the book shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment