Friday, May 27, 2011

A Day To Remember

I'm a country mouse, so a day in Boston is a big deal for me. Especially so today as I visited the state board of retirement and submitted my applications to retire. And then after lunch with friends I was off to the Museum of Fine Arts. And a blazingly hot day it was, the first of this cold and rainy Spring.

I really meant to visit the Chihuly Glass Exhibit (there's still two months to catch that) and browse the book store but I became so entranced with Room 242, the Dutch painting exhibit, that I lost all other intentions.

In particular, this painting absolutely stunned me. Of course this image does no justice but the mood and lighting remain intact.

Old Man In Prayer
Oil on Panel
Rembrandt Harmensz van Rijn

It's good to be back home resting my sore feet and sun soaked brain, the ever faithful Timothy snoozing by my side.

2 comments:

  1. Some pictures just grab you and never ever let you go again. This is one of them. I didn't know it, but just gazing at the screen for five minutes was enough to start the whole process of wondering who he was, the whole back story, the artist's interpretation of the man in this pose-was it pose or genuine?- and that's before you get to awe-struck admiration of the skill of the depiction, the warmth and texture of the hands, the fur coat and that expression. Rembrandt was truly one of the finest portrait painters. Thanks for this John. And congrats on getting that application in ; > )

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very well said, Judith. I will soon be revisiting this painting.

    And thanks. One step closer... :-)

    ReplyDelete