Sunday, January 23, 2011

A New Mop

I stumbled upon this brush while shopping the local Michaels Arts and Crafts for Notan supplies. It's a 3/4" Cotman Mop and so incredibly soft. I thought it might make a good wash brush for egg tempera.




The answer is a resounding yes! Too bad I began with some rather rich layers, particularly near the top of the panel. See those yucky lines? Further below, a lighter Viridian softened and smoothed.




This is just a little break while I digest the extensive text of the Notan third exercise. Besides, so many times these days when I look up into the sky I am pondering how I could possibly render that beauty with egg tempera. 

2 comments:

  1. I like Cotman brushes; have a few that are real favorites; you don't have to spend a lot of $$ to find some real gems out there!
    ~ gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Michaels was cheaper than DickBlick.com! There were about a half dozen to choose from, all with slightly different shapes and softnesses. Being able to hold and feel the brush really helps.

    ReplyDelete