Friday, January 28, 2011

An Extraordinary Day

While preparing for my Boston trip, a quick glance out the window sent me scrambling for the camera. The 100-400 mm was already in place so just a quick ISO check was needed. I grabbed a series of shots through the slider before opening for a cleaner image. The bird didn't move!

I am leaving the identification open to those with experience. This post will provide some history and reference on an earlier raptor ID by Gretchen.

Later... I'm thinking maybe Red-Tailed?






I visited the Arden Gallery on Boston's Newbury Street to view the egg tempera paintings of Koo Schadler. Jaw dropping good, it was. I mean, awesome. Lots of red dots too. Also on exhibit was the egg tempera work of husband and wife team Scherer and Ouporov.

If that wasn't enough, there was also an unadvertised exhibit of the exquisite egg tempera and gold leaf work of Fred Wessel. I remember his "Giana" and "Anticipating Bacchus". His brushwork is fascinating. Minute strokes of many colors, following form, that is not apparent in the photos. The lighting was so, so fine that I really don't have words for it. I actually felt the glow coming off the panel.

2 comments:

  1. I have gone over and over my field guides- and I am stymied once again. He (or she) is a stunningly beautiful bird and your photos are spectacular!! If I had to take a guess, I'd be inclined to agree with your ID of a red tail, but maybe it could be in its winter plumage ( do raptors even take on winter plumage?) or possibly a juvenile? I find the greyish beak unusual; most of my guide books show yellowish beaks tipped with black.
    So glad you had a great time in Boston- loved your description of feeling the glow coming from the panel! Egg tempera really does need to be seen in real life to be fully appreciated, doesn't it?
    ~ gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Gretchen. I looked back over all my photos and did find a few that show the beak colors you mention. I'll post it soon this evening.

    Indeed, there is nothing like the real thing. Same goes for all that lovely metal leafing.

    ReplyDelete