Saturday, June 20, 2009

Painted Turtle

Not having been along the magenta route in nearly two months and looking for a change of scenery, I gave it a bit of a go--that is, until the mosquitoes nearly carried me off. I did make it to the beach area and just beyond down a pathway to find a painted turtle making her nest.


Within 72 to 80 days, hatchlings will emerge from their eggs as fully formed little reptiles ready to go about their businesses. During incubation, the eggs are given no attention.




The beach is within the Harry C. Darling Wildlife Management Area, which encompasses a portion of the lake's western shoreline. Sadly, I can uncover no detail on Mr. Darling.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to see a painted turtle laying her eggs! Great pics, too!
    I'll be back late next week- hope your own week is filled with the magic of nature,
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thrilled! After your pictures arrived, a neighbor informed me that she had seen numerous painted turtle egg laying sessions around the lake. Needless to say, my egg envy was on the rise.

    Wishing you a wonderful and safe trip.

    -- John

    ReplyDelete