Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Multiflora Rose

Multiflora Rose, Rosa multiflora, is present no matter where I look around the lake. Native to Japan, Korea, and Eastern China, this species was introduced from Japan in 1866 as rootstock for ornamental roses. Although considered a pest in some states, it's use as a resilient ground cover for wildlife and as an erosion preventative make it mostly considered beneficial. The walls of flowers in select locations around the lake provide a wonderful scent and beauty.

The flowers range from pure white into pastel pinks. They don't really show their true beauty, it seems, until one gets up close to take in the delicate and showy stamens.















2 comments:

  1. Forgive my silence these past few days- work gets in the way of real life every once in a while! Your horse briar photos were lovely- my first reaction was that we do not have it around here; but I am not so sure about that; it might just be because I have not yet noticed it- I will now be walking with renewed eyes! Our multiflora roses are just on the brink of blossoming-one more week should bring them out. There is a farm close by that has pure white cows and they love to wander through the fields where the multiflora has tried to take over. The white cows amongst the white blossoms has proven to be a worthy photographic subject for me in years past! Too bad we can't take 'scratch n' sniff" photos because the scent is indeed heavenly!!
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it took me a long time to put together my understanding of briars. I was familiar with the winter look of vines and thorns but when it starting leafing out I got all mixed up--at best I thought that I was looking at multiple species. Finally, I settled into my ID books and then went around the lake taking inventory, gaining assurance that indeed all specimens were horse briar. It was a rewarding exercise.

    Isn't white a tough subject? I want my subject to really be white and yet I want to show detail and shadow. Half the time I blow out the highlights and there's nothing there to work with! Practice, practice... :-) A labor of love...

    Try to stay away from that work stuff, Gretchen. Doesn't it just get so in the way of this fun stuff?

    ReplyDelete