Thursday, June 11, 2009

Bittersweet Nightshade

I've only spotted this single one Bittersweet nightshade, Solanum dulcamara, around the lake. Notice how the leaves each have two little wing-like leaves. Of course, with flowers like these, just how much more does one need to make an ID?

I'll be looking for more of these plants and trying to get more shots of this one. The day I got this shot, it was terribly windy on the far end of the lake. It is so hard to focus macro shots with even the slightest breeze. I'm looking forward to some of those hot, still days of summer.

2 comments:

  1. I've always liked these little blossoms-even the berries are attractive; they're particularly jewel like- egg shaped and almost translucent. I first found and photographed the berries one autumn, then spent a frustrating winter trying to ID them; only when I saw the flowers the following summer was I finally able to make a positive ID!
    My comments will be scattered at best these next four weeks due to a combination of things that have all decided to happen at once-it's all good-just demanding of my complete attention; so do not think I have disappeared should you not hear from me for a few days in a row!
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they just the prettiest little flowers? I'd never seen one before and am looking forward to the berries!

    Gretchen, thanks for the heads up, and wishing you the best of luck with your attention grabbers. Have fun! :-)

    Take care,

    -- John

    ReplyDelete