Friday, February 5, 2010

Week 3 is all about lines

This course week is titled "The Use of Line in Drawing". Curiously, my past week's work elicited comments on "line". I think this week will draw out in me an awareness of a line's properties. We'll see...

Okay, on to the reading assignments. There's chapter 2 from Beautiful Botanicals, Graphite Pencil. For optional reading, there's Chapter 2 from The Sierra Club Guide to Sketching in Nature, Putting the Basics to Work.

We are encouraged to use warm up exercises in both pencil as well as pen and ink. Make strokes from bold to delicate and everything in between. Straight, curved, coming from all angles. Work from the shoulder or elbow--not from the wrist or fingers. Draw anytime. Find lines in anything and think about how to portray them.

This week marks the first time that we upload a weekly journal. I'm sure that snips of my posts here will end up in it. Later in the week I'll post out the whole journal here when I submit it up to Marcia.

There are two drawing assignments this week. Both require submissions in both pencil as well as pen and ink. The first involves a medley of leaves; the second is similar but with the leaves overlapping. These assignments are all about the line--no textures or highlight/shadings here, just expressive line. Outlines and veins, that's it.

There we have it! A week in a nutshell. By the way, this is a really great exercise for me to get a handle on my assignments. I can be a bit spacey and spelling it all out here helps keep me on the straight and narrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment