Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sketching for practice and relaxation

For a change of pace, and to get back to basics, I sketched out a Pilewort blossom. I'd like to get in more of these kind of studies--flower and leaf closeups. It's good practice and I love having the ability to simply erase a line.



This sketch from a few nights ago was a copy from a book on light and shading in watercolor. I thought that rather than try to copy it with paint that I'd first work out values in b/w.



And then there's this loose sketch from something like a month ago. Scribbled on the back of a printout and wrinkled with water stains, I found it mixed in with books on the bedroom floor. Photoshop to the rescue here to wash out the background print and wrinkles. (Too bad Photoshop won't work on the bedroom floor...) That altered the tonality somewhat but not too badly. Very roughly based on a profile of my Timothy.


No comments:

Post a Comment