Friday, July 10, 2009

Deptford Pink

I have been photographing Dianthus armeria for a couple of weeks--a challenge not only to identify but also to pull off a detailed shot. The bright pink oversaturates with ease, blotting out detail. Deptford Pink is found all around the lake and always in small patches. Below is about as extensively grouped as it gets.



From "an historical account of the towns, villages, and hamlets...":

"The Dianthus Armeria, which abounds in this part of Kent, was called by the old botanifts, who found it in this parifh, the Deptford pink."


Lysons, Daniel. The Environs of London. London, 1811. 468. Web. Google Book Search. 9 July 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I've always loved pinks! These quotes that you are finding from vintage field guides are really wonderful and bring such a welcome dimension to learning about flora.
    The depth of field you captured in the last shot is gorgeous- makes me want to go out and by a dslr this minute!
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so nice to slide into the past? I do enjoy rooting out these quotes. More to come, I'm sure.

    I was all kinds of excited when I discovered this quote came from 1811!

    ReplyDelete