Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Blueberry

These blueberry shots come from different plants around the lake. In fact, they might be different species. I won't try to nail that down at this time, only to recognize that the probability exists.

From a few weeks ago.



I've photographed this bush since winter when only those galls were present. This shot was taken in early April. I just found out that the Blueberry Stem Gall Wasp, Hemadas
nubilipennis, is responsible for these galls.


Here's the same bush a week or so ago. It doesn't show the galls that well here but they're still there.


I found that little bit of blue most curious.


And here with most of the blossoms gone by, we can see the early development of the berries. I think as the berries plump up that the pointy edges will become that little crown on each berry.








2 comments:

  1. Our own shore line here on the lake is rimmed with blueberry bushes; as we are further north, our white blossoms are still firmly attached and have not yet begun to drop off. They are a feast for the big fat buzzy bumbleybees and the bushes fairly vibrate with their energy. What always amazes me is the delightful delicate scent the blossoms give off esp. on a warmish evening (not last night, however- we were in the 30s!). Come late July when the berries are ripe, my evening dog walks consist of working our way around the yard, picking berries as we go- I pick at my height and my dog nibbles away below me. She loves blueberries... as do the birds who leave blue colored poop all over our dock!
    Re; yesterday's fern post, the only thing harder than trying to get a correct ID on ferns is trying to ID mushrooms... my audubon guide has proven useful only as an expensive paperweight and my journals are filled with photos captioned "pretty mushrooms". I gave up long ago.
    ~gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool--a blueberry-eating dog! :-) You two must be real pals. I read that sometimes the bees, in their impatience to acquire nectar, will bore through the side of the blossom. I only noticed one flower with what could have been a hole on the side but I didn't get off a photo.

    I think I now have id'd three ferns and might have photos of two as yet unidentified species. This business really does take patience. But truly, it's all just so much fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete