Saturday, January 10, 2009

Mourning Dove









It is their nature to blend in well while pecking around my dirt road or yard. I guess the same goes for the crabapple tree. Click the photo for a hopefully better view.

The Mourning Dove, Zenaida macroura, is a peaceful bird. They sometimes play on the ground a bit of dodge ems with each other but that's as far as agression goes. I sadly watched a hawk snap one up out of the yard last week. Ah well, it is the business of survival. They've been clocked on the wing at 55 mph but their takeoffs and landings aren't exactly aircraft carrier style, making them easy pickings while grounded.

The males make a very distictive Ooo--ooo-ooo sound with the arrival of mating season. For years I thought it to be of a migrating specie as I never heard it until spring. It's a marker for me to validate that winter is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment