Saturday, January 24, 2009

Red Cedar


Here are some berries on a branch of Eastern Red Cedar, Juniperus virginiana. From a distance, the berries have a bluish bloom but close up (~5x) we can see the color variations.

I wasn't sure if this was White or Red cedar as I remember only knowing the difference from heartwood coloration. Now I know that Red will have squared evergreen scaly twigs while White's will be more flattened. The twigs are quite small and an easy trick is to roll them between the fingers. Also, Red has the berries we see here while White has some little cones instead.

I didn't have my camera with me when I took this sample so a full tree shot will be forthcoming.

I am wondering why these berries are still around. Do the local birds not care for them? Will the migrants like them?

No comments:

Post a Comment