Sunday, January 8, 2012

Starting a new piece

It's so hard to get started. I mean really hard. And so I feel great tonight, finally deciding to take a chance on a rhododendron closeup in egg tempera for the Flower Show.


Here's a peek at my initial masking. The panel on the left is my second gesso refurb and it came out just as nice as the first. There's something quite liberating knowing that I can always renew a gesso board when things, as they sometimes do on my easel, go very wrong. This evening I'll be sponging in initial layers of the background. I'm trying to hold the camera close by so that there will be lots of work in progress shots.


I like this design--such interesting negative shapes. And, sharp and soft edges are already appearing.

2 comments:

  1. The first step might always be the hardest, but dang! you are so headed in the right direction with this one!!
    ~ gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gretchen. It's a real pleasure coming back to egg tempera for this piece.

    ReplyDelete