Sunday, September 18, 2011

Earths Color Chart

It's simply amazing the colors available from natural earth pigments. I tried to match up values to my Munsell chips by mixing the pigments with titanium white. My favorite colors are the top row delicate pastels and the bottom swatches as they are clear pigment and offers some degree of transparency. The middle tones have a slight chalkiness that might lend well to peach fuzz or plum bloom.

As I work these exercises I wonder how often I might mix white heavily. I suppose it could be frequent if I was looking for a very specific look but even then I expect that I'd be glazing to add depth and luminosity.

This work is only in part about Munsell and really more about just taking the time to play with and explore my pigments.


No comments:

Post a Comment