Monday, August 1, 2011

Building a Foreground

I'm thinking of using this lily for the foreground image. I photographed it yesterday, printed in on the b/w laser, transferred the outline, and dropped in a  bit of shading. I'm trying to become familiar with it in tone. Soon I'll start work on the color mixes.


I've run into a bit of trouble with the gesso board. The surface is a bit less smooth than I'd optimally expect. It may have been too eggy a mix late last night, or possibly that the egg was getting old. I dropped on a few more layers this evening with a fresh egg and it seemed to improve a bit before reverting. I'm going to let it sit while I turn to lily work. If in a few days it's still not where I want it to be, I'll simply start another background and let that one rest. No worries, I have plenty of boards and this is a great learning experience. 
"Don't be frightened if you make an awful mess; you can often learn more by doing so, than never launching out but keeping to safe unambitious projects."
~ Harold Speed

No comments:

Post a Comment