Friday, August 28, 2009

Tyrol Knapweed

Knapweeds look a good deal like the thistles, but without the thorny structures. I'm pretty sure this is a Tyrol Knapweed, although it could be a Black. Documentation seems to conflict...

A new ID book arrived today: Newcomb's Wildflower Guide by Lawrence Newcomb. I also have Peterson's Wildflowers. In the case of knapweeds, I found greater detail with Peterson's, although I think I like better the more delicate illustrations of Newcomb's. Perhaps these guides will work out to be complementary--time will tell.

As well as these guides, I get a lot of use out of Connecticut Botanical Society's flower gallery, particularly when browsing flowers by color. Many an ID has come from viewing actual photos, and by simply poking through the photos, I've familiarized myself with flowers that I've then gone on to discover.





No comments:

Post a Comment