Thursday, February 5, 2009

Northern Cardinal

The Northern Cardinal, Cardinalis cardinalis, is another regular at the feeders, preferring to pick seed off the ground. A pair will always be seen together--one keeping watch while the other feeds. It's surprising how hard I have look to spot the mate on watch, even when it's the brilliant red male.

They are probably the shiest of my locals around the feeders.

On another note, a recent and thoughtful book recommendation pointed me to The Trees in My Forest by Bernd Heinrich. Wonderful descriptions of trees on his Maine property. I'm now reading his Winter World: The Ingenuity of Animal Survival on my Kindle. If you have ever wondered how the birds and mammals in the New England area survive and thrive through our harsh winters, you will be entertained and amazed. Coming soon--this spring--look for a new one: Summer World: A Season of Bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment