Saturday, September 5, 2009

Cottonwood

Cottonwood--at least I think it is. You see, the Poplar family holds quite a few species. What throws me is the soft fuzziness of the leaf underside, a property of White Poplar (although the leaf shape doesn't fit at all).

I found about a half dozen of these trees, all under four feet tall. They are growing on a partially cleared house lot, leaving me to think that a larger, more mature tree could be close by.







Yesterday, I wondered about the frayed edges of the dragonfly's wings. From what I've found, it seems that this is a sign of aging. I'll be on the lookout for more of the same. Today one was so accommodating that I could not only get very close but even stroke its perfectly formed wings!

And lastly, here's our full moon from last night around 10 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment