I've mentioned making my own transfer paper. Here's a look at my second try, this time with red ochre. As before, I mixed dry pigment with denatured alcohol.
I probably could have used less pigment as a little seems to go a long way. You can see here how heavily laden my mix was. It dried quickly on this hot and sunny day.
Because of the initial unevenness, I put down I think four coats, changing directions to help smooth it out.
And here was the result. Notice how the excess ochre dusted the surface. It lifted off easily with a kneaded eraser. I didn't experience this dusting with the yellow ochre, and I think I probably put down a thinner pigment base. Perhaps a little rubbing to remove the lose material will help. I'll be making more of these, working on my technique.