Thursday, July 7, 2011

Egg Tempera Preparations

We used True Gesso boards for the egg tempera workshop. Nice boards--well back-coated, relatively smooth finish, and not many pinholes. The board is positioned on an easel made and sold by Koo Schadler and her husband Jeff.




Here is a closeup of the surface in raking light.


This photo was taken after a light sanding with 400 grit and a wipe down with denatured alcohol.


Here are the makings for a batch of Prussian Blue pigment paste.


I'm disbursing the pigment on a glass palette, mixing in distilled water with a palette knife.


Here's the final product, ready for the jar.

2 comments:

  1. One thought that constantly pops up when I see your process photos such as these is the tremendous amount of preparation work that goes into an egg tempera piece. I am inclined to say "wow... to much work for me" but upon closer reflection I realize that each step is an art form unto itself and brings along periods of quiet contemplation and great anticipation as you move through the sequence.
    ~ gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the process. On this post I dropped in a lot of visuals but left out the story behind the scenes. Tonight I will fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete