Thursday, May 31, 2012

Linseed and hardwood floors

Oh so many years ago I stained and polyurethaned my hardwood floor. Last year I stripped the remaining finish and prepped to refinish with water-based polyurethane. Alas, in my procastinating and flighty habits, I never did get to this.

I've opted to refinish instead with boiled linseed oil. What a joy! I can do a bit at a time and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Note that this is not the linseed oil we paint with. The oil is heated to polymerize and oxidize and there may also be metallic dryers. There will still be a second and possibly a third coat.

Here's a look at the floor with a light sanding prior to oiling.

The oil has been applied and is soaking in.

And here's the final look after two rubbings.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! Your floors look gorgeous! Love the softer "glow" of the oiled wood vs. polyurethane. I would think that the upkeep in years to come will be less, too ( and more environmentally friendly ) ? No more stripping, only a good wash and more oil when the time comes?
    You should be trhrilled with your results!
    ~ gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gretchen! Yes, I think maintenance will be easier with oil. I have a Vaporjet Ladybug that I hope will take care of cleaning.

    ReplyDelete