Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Solstice!

Today in the Northern Hemisphere we experience the shortest day, the longest night, of the year.

As I gain a foothold with my botanical discoveries, I'm picking up a tuned awareness of my natural surroundings. Trees and bushes become unique--not only to differentiate species but to see the natural habit of each individual. My new acquaintances.

The Solstice marks for me a time of renewal and promise. These beings will again waken. Buds will swell. New leaves will birth. I need this assurance. It's been snowing for three days for about a foot and a half. I'm sore from shoveling.

During this snowy downtime, I will keep the bird feeders full and spread peanuts for the squirrels and blue jays. I'll study my natural history books--there are more on the way. Oh, and I'll figure out my new incredible camera--a Solstice present for me and this endeavor.

Happy Solstice!

No comments:

Post a Comment